Pain medicine physicians are experts at diagnosing why you are having pain and treating the pain itself.
Some of the common problems a pain management physician treats include:
arthritis, back and neck pain, cancer pain, nerve pain, migraine headaches, shingles, and phantom limb pain for amputees.
They also manage acute pain caused by surgery, a debilitating illness or a serious injury. Examples include: pain after a knee-joint replacement, pain during recovery from a car accident, pain following stomach or chest surgery, or pain associated with sickle cell disease.
The pain medicine doctor works closely with your primary care doctor.
- Pain medicine doctors review your medical records and X-rays as needed.
- They will ask you to describe your pain in detail, such as where it hurts, for how long, what makes the pain worse or what makes it feel better.
- They may ask you to fill out a detailed questionnaire that helps them to assess the impact that your pain is having on your lifestyle and if it is interfering with your daily activities.
- They also will do a complete physical examination on you.
- They may need to order other tests and will then review all of their findings to determine what is causing your pain and how the problem can be corrected.
For more information, please contact our office at 973.470.4040 for an appointment or You may also request an appointment or contact us by email.